Friday, July 27, 2012

In which I wonder how much of a fuck to give.

Danny went down/up/etc the coast last weekend for a boys' weekend before one of our good mates gets married in a couple of weeks (which, quick aside, oh my God I feel so unbelievably old as a result).  I found a cheapish one-way flight up to Orange and decided to take myself up there for the weekend to see my parents.  It was a great place to go, to remind oneself to give less of a fuck about whether or not a company has correctly booked the redetermination of the useful life of its Fixed Assets. 

 

The last few weeks have been pretty good, work-wise.  I worked on my nightmare client for a week which was far less of a nightmare this time around and now I'm on another publicly-listed bad boy, but much smaller and a bit more relaxed.  I've also been enforcing 6.30/7.00pm finishes all of this week, which has made me feel a lot better in general about my work-life balance.  I'm not sure if everyone in the office is lacking enthusiasm right now because it's the busy period, or whether it's just me - and if it's just me, whether it's incredibly obvious.  I still feel cheery during the day and 80% of the time I love what I do, but I do get sick of the relentless hours, as well as the relentless expectation that goes along with those hours.  I know that seems to be a thread weaving its way through most of these posts, but it's something that I've been thinking about quite a bit and I haven't decided whether it's worth it yet.

Dan is up in Queensland for the next two days for a family wedding, so a friend came over tonight for dinner, then I watched that One Born Every Minute show with the crazy women giving birth and an episode of Hoarders.  I'm going to try to hit up the library on Saturday morning before he gets back, to at least try to shoehorn in some study.  I'm taking Financial Accounting 2 and Management Accounting.  Disco times.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hey Luisa,

It's Liz. I've been trying to locate you for such a long time!

I'm back in Oz after working in the Middle East/Gulf for the past 2 years.

Give me a call if you can. 0424 794 139

Hope all is well and you are enjoying your new career and home :) xx